Monday, January 11, 2010

Glorifying Through the Confusion

Last Monday, January 4, on Chris Fabry Live!, I joined Chris Fabry to talk about my New Year Resolution. It wasn't a resolution so much as an intentional change in the way I think about my possessions. In light of the recent robberies my husband and I have had (our apartment on December 14 and our luggage out of a van on December 21), I'm trying to view my possessions differently. I actually pre-recorded the piece on December 31 because I was taking a graduate school class last week. Click here to listen: http://asxarchive.moodyradio.org/ChrisFabryLive/2010-01-04_Chris_Fabry_Live.asx

Switch to yesterday afternoon. My sister was driving my Daewoo (my first car) and it died in the middle of the Eisenhower Expressway on her way downtown. We had it towed to the mechanic who diagnosed it as a timing belt that went out. Chances are, the cylinders are messed up, too. If the cylinders are messed up, we'll likely have to junk the car because it'd be cheaper to junk it than to fix it.

Today when I was listening to last Monday's program and heard what I said about letting go of my possessions and treating them differently, I connected yesterday with the robberies. My car is another possession that I will likely lose in the near future. I don't know what will happen with my car. I don't know what outcome there will be from the robberies or the insurance. I don't have the answers to a lot of things right now. But ultimately, none of it is about me. It is about me in the sense that I are experiencing the feelings and struggles on this earth, but even those aren’t about me. I'm not trying to pull the cliché “it’s not about me” thing, but the only reason I’m on the earth in the first place is to glorify God. The hopes and dreams I had for the Daewoo or the stolen Christmas presents or my life in general aren’t guaranteed…and I can either dwell on “what should have been” or what I wanted, or I can glorify God through the confusion. I guess that’s where I am at the moment…glorifying Him in the confusion.
tm

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear about your car. Sounds like you have a great perspective in all your circumstances.

    ReplyDelete